One of the Rutherford brothers at 152 Sauchiehall street is believed to have been a John, but there is no record in the directories of him at this Sauchiehall street address, which was the studio of Horatio Paterson from 1881 till 1889. This cdv is believed to date to around 1883. His presence here perhaps explains the comment on the card from James Rutherford that he had 'No branch Establishment'. Did the brothers split up after 1880? There is certainly a resemblance between all the later Rutherford cdvs that suggests a common origin.