A cased 'ninth plate' ambrotype dated to 1859 on the inside. The case is 7.5 by 6 cms. The clear front glass is on top of the brass round headed mask, which is in front of the glass negative. The fact that the buttons appear the wrong way round (see enlargement below) shows that the emulsion side of the negative is to the front.
The badge shown below, enlarged three times, is on the outside of the case, and shows that he was operating from the Caledonian Portraits rooms, a studio which was used by at least seven different photographers between 1858 and 1879.